The primary function of the Tamil Nadu Archives is to centralise and hold all permanent records, to arrange them chronologically; preserve them on scientific lines, throw them open for historical research, and to make them available promptly and readily for official reference.
The following are the activities and functions relating to general public and research scholars apart from the preservation of records and furnishing them to the Departments of Secretariat.
1. Issue of certified copies/extracts of Tamil Nadu Government Gazette to public on requisition.
2. Supply of information to private individuals (foreign as well as inland) about family details, such as death, birth, marriages, employment, service particulars, etc., if available from the archival records on application.
3. Imparting training on Record Management and Conservation of Records for officials of private institutions besides those of Government Departments.
4. Grant of permission to bonafide Scholars for doing research work. (M.Phil, Ph.d.)
5. Issue of photo copies of archival records to enrolled Research Scholars on payment.
6. Collection of private records of archival value from the public as per Central and State Rules/Acts.
7. Mending of old records and books of private institutions and persons besides those of Government Departments.
8. Sale of Archival Publications.
11. Award of Research Fellowships through Tamil Nadu Council of Historical Research.
12. Admission of scholars for Ph.d., in Modern History.